Jen and I didn't do anything for Independence Day, so we felt that we should do something for Pioneer day. We started with watching the parade on TV. Did any of you think some of those floats were a bit creepy? But it was good, and fun to watch. We decided that the best way to finish off the day would be to have a BBQ.
Problem: We don't own a BBQ.
Solution: Go buy one. (easier said than done)
We had been thinking about getting a decent BBQ for a while now. But we decided to go with one of those cheap propane ones instead.
First, Jenny went to Harmons to get some food.
Harmons = 1
Later, Jen and I went to Walmart to get the BBQ and some ice cream for rootbeer floats. I see these stupid little BBQ's everywhere I go, even at the grocery stores, so I was confident we wouldn't have any trouble getting one. Walmart was sold out.
Walmart = 2
Went across the street to Kmart. A few side notes before I tell you we were unsuccessful in getting a BBQ:

-The Kmart company has been struggling for years: Bankruptcy about 10 or 15 years ago, then they merged with Sears about 5 years ago or so. At 4800 S, the Kmart is right across the street from Walmart. The Walmart parking lot was packed as usual, and there were 7 cars in the Kmart lot. How this place stays open is beyond me.
-The Kmart was GROSS. We walked in and it immediatly smelled like a toilet. I thought it was a poo at first, but then realized it was a discusting cheap bathroom cleaner. It was really gross. I kept pointing this out to Jenny, and she kept telling me to be quiet. Shouldn't the employees know if the smell drives away customers?
Anyways back to our story. Kmart, no dice. Kmart = 3, but we did buy a $7 firework set.
Target? No dice

Target = 4

Home Depot = 5, No dice; fortunately, this HD called up another store and they held one for me.
Home Depot #2 = 6, Dice! Please imagine with me the following in slow motion: Jenny sits in the air conditioned car, looking away at some kids frying an egg on the sidewalk. She quickly turns her head toward the camera, her hair flowingly whipps around. Camera cuts to the front of the store, [key victory music]. The pavement emits waves of heat as a tumbleweed rolls from right to left. The camera pans up, to show me carrying the BBQ on my shoulder, confidently and triumphantly walking to the car. Yep, that's about what it felt like.
We still needed ice cream, so we went back to Harmons.
Harmons = 7
So 7 stores later, we had our BBQ. We made some great burgers, watched a movie and set off our fireworks and had rootbeer floats. It was a great day.

3 comments:
Jeff, I laughed hysterically at your gross 4500 South Kmart experience. A toilet . . . really? I know totally what you mean. That Kmart is disgusting. I think I can smell it from here. Anyway, I'm glad you got your BBQ. Way to persevere . . . just like the pioneers.
Way to be diligent. I would have given up after Walmart. I mean, if Walmart doesn't have what you need, who will? And, just so you know, Jeff, I have thought that Kmart was kind of poo-ey for a while, too. Maybe their smell is finally catching up with them. I probably would have paid $20 to watch you tell the manager that his store smelled like toilets.
you two crack me up! You could have just come back to the court and used the charcoal one here! :)
Post a Comment