Thursday, September 23, 2010

DUMB

This is how I feel lately. Everyone I know that is pregnant or has been pregnant has said, "It's pregnancy brain." And I really thought people were just being dumb and telling me I would forget things or be more scattered and stuff just because. WebMD has a great little article about pregnancy brain/momnesia/mom brain. It totally makes sense, but I feel like I am way more dumb than I used to be...not sleep deprived. Just not functional.
Here are a few examples just in the last 24 hours:

*Last night I thought I'd be the best wifey ever and have dinner ready for Jeff when he got home from class. I decided on chicken and rice. Easy, right? I mean, we eat rice probably 4 or 5 times a week so I know the right amount to make and all that jazz. I decided that since most people make it with cream of chicken soup, I'd make a white sauce. Great idea...until I added poultry seasoning because chicken is poultry, so it would taste good, right? Nope. I make the sauce then decide I want stuffing because that's what it smells like and then I realize I don't have anything to make stuffing with so that was out.
As I'm putting the chicken and rice into the pan so I can bake it into a casserole of deliciousness, it just doesn't look like enough rice. So, I keep adding until I have a grand total of 4 cups of rice in the 9x13 pan. Plus 4 chicken breasts (we like leftovers). Plus I have to somehow fit enough liquid to cook all the rice. Needless to say, it was NOT cooked by the time Jeff got home. He had to fix it by taking the chicken out (which was finally cooked) and adding more water to the rice so it wouldn't be crunchy.

Jeff says: "Um, maybe next time you could call me when you think this is a good idea and I'll help you through it."

We had a good laugh and avoided the tears...which were coming to the surface, but I sucked it up because I refuse to cry over making too much rice.

*I stopped to put gas in my car after work today and put the diesel pump into the tank. Luckily I realized before I started pumping it. My car is the furthest thing from a diesel.

Jeff says: "Oh gosh. Maybe we should get walkie talkies and you can just call me all the time."

*I stopped at the store so I could grab a few things to make spaghetti (I figure it's also an easy meal so it better turn out or else I just might shed some tears). I purchase a few things and use the self checkout. I grab my stuff and head out to the car only to realize I forgot one of the bags that had the meat for the spaghetti and my pricey gluten free bread.

I've had several more, but I can't remember them...of course.

I told Jeff that I just need to be locked up for the next 6 months.

Jeff says: "We could dig out a cellar thing in the backyard which could only be accessed from under the stairs. Then we could keep you down there with a space heater and rice bag and some cereal. You could continue to dig out and expand the base for exercise." Great idea, husband. Great idea.


On a totally unrelated note, I found this birthday card for Emily and was thrilled out of my pants. It's seriously SO funny to me!




2 comments:

Becca Jane said...

oh pregnancy brain is VERY real. I have the stories to prove it.

We miss you guys, you need to come visit...or let us know where you live so we can show up and hang out! :)

Krystal said...

Been there, done that! And I'm sorry to say it doesn't change until either 6 months after birth (if you give her a bottle) or 6 months after you stop nursing (whichever way you do it)! I still have pregnancy brain! Just ONE of the things you will endure for your sweet bundle of joy!