Saturday, August 22, 2009

Deer Whisperer

I owe the title of this post to my sister, Emily.
A little background info is necessary to truly appreciate the experience I am going to share.

A couple of years ago, we (Emily and her fam, my friend Crystal who is more like a sister, and my mom) were staying at my grandma's house in Ephraim for the Scandinavian festival. My grandma was sick and in the hospital at the time so we were going back and forth between Nephi and Ephraim quite a few times that weekend. It was pretty late at night and Crystal and I were in the mini van driving super carefully through the canyon and watching for deer. We were doing great and right outside of the canyon, a deer comes out of the brush and runs into the side of the van! We were traumatized, but the deer ran off and there was only a small dent in the van. That was my first experience involving a large animal while driving.


+

= a traumatized Jenny.

Back to my recent experience...

On Friday morning, I was driving along Foothill Boulevard. For those who don't live in the area, it is a main street between the U of U and I-215, so it's super busy the majority of the time.
I'm driving along and not even being distracted and off to the right I see a large thing coming toward my car. Right as it runs INTO the side of my car, I realize it's a deer. In the middle of Foothill Boulevard. Just hanging out and following me.

I was obviously totally freaked out, but kept driving. What else do you do? The deer ran over to the sidewalk and started running along that. When I looked in my rearview mirror to see if anyone else experienced the deer like I did, I saw it running across all 6 lanes of Foothill.

My first phone call about the experience was to Crystal since she was with me the last time a deer hit me. Seriously. Who does this happen to?! I then proceedto tell the story to my family and finally Jeff when he was available to chat for a minute. Everyone was laughing hysterically (except Jeff...he did find it very humorous though) and said it's something that would only happen to me.



+


=




I didn't report a claim to my insurance because February was a rough and expensive month for us and Jeff's car (he had a few mishaps...) and it's not like the deer has insurance to pay for the damage. So, I have a really dented car and it's ugly, but I'll just deal with it for now. I don't know why these deer insist on coming to me. I don't even really care for the dumb things.

Deer have officially been moved to my list of stupid animals that I really don't like. Pigeons are number one. Deer are now number two.

Thank goodness the deer was a girl and didn't have any antlers because it hit me hard and those things would have gone through the window. I'm also really thankful that I didn't get hurt and that no other cars were involved in my deer whisperer experience. FYI: they should put deer crossing signs on Foothill Blvd.

You can't make this stuff up. I wish I could though.

4 comments:

Em said...

I am still laughing about it! Not just chuckling, but the belt laugh. Bwhahahaha. Seriously though, I'm glad that you are ok.

Alecia and Sam said...

That is hilarious! Not that your car is dented and you are traumatized but the fact that deer keep finding you! I laughed really hard... thanks for that! Deer really are the dumbest animals out there!

Jenny said...

it really was a funny experience and i've been laughing about it. it's annoying, but seriously...who does that happen to?!

Kim and Franklin said...

Friend! No way. That is hilarious. I am glad that you are ok. Maybe you need some sort of shield to protect your car. It seems to attract mishaps...