Saturday, November 6, 2010

Boys will be Boys

Here is a photo summary of our Saturday.  The whole story is below if you're interested...
When we got to the hospital after having a cold washcloth and gauze on it for a while.
This one and the one below are after the doctor checked it which pulled it apart again.  Yuck.


So done with the day and we were just getting started.

I thought he looked like a dead person.  I also found this quite humorous.  He said with that gauze thing over his eye, he felt like he was getting a facial.  I said next time we should just do a day at the spa instead.  Much more pleasant.  Cheaper than a plastic surgeon too.  I sure am grateful for our health insurance!

The missing chunk that's not actually missing.

Getting ready to be sewn back up.

Cutting the eyelid even more.  Ouch.  The CNA had to take this picture so I didn't get woozy.  She did a great job.

After.  He totally looks like a boxer with a bruised, swollen, cut up eye.
 Jeff decided it would be fun to take up boxing.  I highly discouraged it, but he wanted to anyway...apparently his opponent won.  Just kidding.  Here's the whole story.
Sam and Maddie slept over last night.  Lots of fun as usual.  This morning Jeff got up with the kids while I slept a little longer (thanks!  I was super tired).  I got Maddie ready and left Sam in his jammies because Mads and I were supposed to go on some fun errands.
Jeff said, "I need to shower before you leave."
I said, "Why don't you get in right now while I finish getting ready?"
Sam then rammed into me, full force.  This is a very typical experience with Sam.
Jeff said, "Hey Sam.  Wanna wrestle?"

They love wrestling.

A few minutes later, Jeff said, "Jenny!!  I'm bleeding from my eye!"
Me: Seriously? Come here.
So he stumbled down the hall, holding onto the walls because he couldn't actually see, and met me in the bathroom...blood all over his face and dripping from his eye.  Gross.  But, I was brave and didn't even puke or pass out which is my usual response to things like this.
We rinsed his eye to see where it was bleeding from.  It looked like a chunk was missing.  His eye was irritated and so we covered it and I made some phone calls to get the kiddos taken care of so I could hang out with my wounded husband at the ER.  (Instacare told us to just go there since the eye is a pretty delicate area...good thing too as you'll find out later).

We got to the hospital, got all checked in and they gave Jeff an eye test.  The ER doctor finally came in after about 45 minutes and numbed Jeff's eye so he could be a little more comfortable.

He said, "Hm.  That's quite the laceration.  It's going to need to be stitched up, but I'm not going to do it because it'll look funny the rest of your life.  We have an Ocupolastic surgeon who is doing surgery at another hospital, but will be here in about 1 1/2 hours." 

Cool.  Plastic surgeon who specializes in fixing the eye?  Way cool.  And pricey-sounding.

I was starving so I went to the cafeteria where I saw our previous bishop and his wife.  Sweet.  He came to the ER and gave Jeff a blessing.  I love how the Lord makes sure things work out like that.  Jeff couldn't eat because they weren't sure if he would have to go to the OR or not.  Jeff did get to go back out to the waiting room for a while so he could watch football while waiting for the surgeon.  Such a guy.

A couple hours later (probably 2 1/2) the surgeon got there and checked things out.  Despite what the pictures look like, Jeff was not actually missing a chunk of his eyelid, but the cut was pretty bad.  The doctor actually had to cut further up his eyelid because the cut was worse underneath the lid.  He was doing the sewing up for about an hour.
There were several instances where Jeff shouldn't have felt anything, but he wasn't completely numbed like the doctor thought so it was kind of painful at different points.  He had to keep adding more numbing drops and injections.  I felt so bad for him.  Poor guy.  He was such a trooper.

6 1/2 hours later, we were finally on our way out of the hospital.  I went to fill his prescription that the surgeon gave him but apparently that particular ointment is not available.  At all.  So now we are waiting to see if they call us back to get something different.  What a day.

HOW DID IT HAPPEN?
It was fun telling this story a million times.  Sam was still in his fuzzy jammies (the exact jammies pictured here).   The wrestling match began.  Jeff picked Sam up to put him over his head.  Sam's little bum (no zipper or button or anything.  Just the soft fuzzy jammies) apparently caught on Jeff's eyelid.  Jeff naturally tried to close his eye.  Something freakish happened and it ripped his eyelid and the blood started flowing.  My husband got beat up by a 2 1/2 year old.  We were both glad that Jeff got hurt and not Sam though.  We all would have been even more traumatized had Sam been the injured one.
Jeff's mom, Susan, said, "Jeff should pick on someone his own size."  Hahaha!  Kills me.  So true. 

More than once the words, "I should have just gotten in the shower..." were said.  Yep.  Wifey's do know best sometimes. :)


3 comments:

Kathryn said...

All I can say is, OH MAN! I showed Ben the pics too, such a crazy story! Glad everything worked out ok! yes the moral of the story is that us wives always know best :)

Em said...

Holy Moly. I still can't believe it happened! When I asked Sam what happened, he said, "Jeff, OW. Face. Red." Pretty accurate description. I feel so bad about it. Man, darn those Costco jammies!!! Let me know if I can do anything for you guys. Seriously...

Kevin and Andrea said...

Wow. I am so glad I wasn't there. I would not have been as calm as you, Jenny. You rock. Jeff, I am so glad you are ok. That is awful. Great way to spend a weekend, huh?