Saturday, January 8, 2011

Miracles

Warning: long post.  I've had a lot to think about this week so here it all is...

It's been quite the week.  A lot of emotional nights for me...mostly just because I'm so unstable lately and am really looking forward to feeling a little more emotionally stable in the next few months...or whenever that actually happens. 
On Tuesday night, we went to a class about breastfeeding which was very helpful and informative.  We went to bed and around 11:30, Jeff's phone rang.  I heard him answer and say, "She flipped her car?  Is she ok?  Whoa.  Thanks for letting us know."  So, immediately I was all anxious and worked up and not going back to sleep any time soon.  I then saw that I had 2 missed calls on my phone, but that's not a surprise because my phone rarely works in our house. 
My mind started racing because I had no idea who had been in an accident and what happened and everything.  I kept thinking "what if..." and filled it in with every horrible tragedy I could possibly think of. (It's a curse really.  I do it all the time and freak myself out or end up sobbing because I make myself so sad when I think of things that could potentially happen to the people I love.)  Needless to say, I was in tears.  Not little, "I'm worried but know she's ok because that was the phone call" tears.  This was the UGLY cry that I hate that I do so often because I get myself so worked up and think about the worst possible scenario.
Anyway, I found out my sister, Mandy had been in a really bad car accident.  She swerved to miss a dog, hit some ice, ran into the curb or a phone pole, flipped her car, and slid along the road a bit, just hanging from her seatbelt and shielding herself from the airbags.  She called my parents from the ambulance and let them know. 




They had to cut her out as you can see from the pictures and had to cut her clothes off.  She was in a neck brace and on a back board and bleeding.  Even from all that, she didn't break a bone.  Or even crack anything.  She shielded her face and the blood was only coming from her tongue (which is super bruised after she bit it and it kinda looks like a lizard tongue.)  She is bruised all over and has a concussion, but nothing else.  Not to say she's not miserable, but seeing the car and hearing the story, I couldn't believe she was ok.  She went to the ER and was released by 2 a.m. 
This kind of stuff just doesn't happen.  Right?
But, occasionally, it does.  The Lord knows what He is doing and has blessed my family with so many miraculous experiences.  I immediately realized how blessed we are to have the Gospel in our lives.  How comforting to know that families are eternal.  Members of my family have had their lives spared in numerous ways and I am so thankful for the opportunity I've had to witness this.
I love my family.  Both sides.  They are all amazing people.  This week helped me recognize how much I take for granted and helped me realize how much I need the Gospel in my life.  I am thankful that Mandy not only survived, but is doing so well.  I'm thankful for medical personnel and technology.  I'm thankful for seatbelts and for people I love wearing them.  I am SO thankful for our little girl who will be coming in 5ish weeks.  What a miracle the whole process is.  We are so blessed. 

2 comments:

Becca Jane said...

SOOO scary! I'm so so glad she's ok. I've always been scared of being in a car accident, and my anxiety about it has gotten a lot worse the older I get.

I'm the same way, what you said about how you get worked up over something in your mind and start feeling emotional. It'll get worse when you have kids, unfortunately. If I even entertain a tiny thought that something bad happens to them (for example, the worst is picturing them being kidnapped and scared and crying) then I literally start sobbing. It's torture!

But my anxiety has been helped a lot by my loving heavenly father whom I trust and love. Bad, scary things may happen, but we never have to feel alone or lost.

Thanks for sharing this!

Becca said...

Yep, I cried when I read this. And I cried for 2 hours when Dev and I got the phone call. You and I can be hormonal and emotionally unstable together.

But well said. Our family is constantly blessed with miracles. I too am grateful for a loving and mindful Heavenly Father.

And what the Becca above me wrote is true...I've always done the same thing you do (imagining the worst scenario and working myself up), but now I do it with stuff regarding Brooklynn, too. You have so much more you imagine and worry about, but the knowledge that Heavenly Father is there to comfort and love us during hard times eases the anxiety.

Anyway, I love you and the rest of our fam! And I can't wait for babycakes to come!