
When we went in, it seemed pretty shady. Mom at the register, 12yo son doing the dishes and Dad cooking the food. Plus there was a line, so we decided to go to JB's instead. Redemption attempt #1: We arrived at JB's and decided to get the breakfast buffet, major mistake, major. The buffet was expectedly horrible and they had no pancakes. Joe asked 4 different people to bring out more, and they all said they were on it, but alas, no pancakes.

After sampling the fine cuisine at the buffet line, we decided we'd had enough and we headed back to the flapjack shack to try once again to redeem our morning. I ordered one flapjack and Joe ordered two, reasonably priced pancakes. That was at 8:57. After 43 minutes and a couple of episodes of Gilligan's Island later, we finally got our pancakes. They were okay, but not worth a 40+ minute wait. Dejected, rejected and disillusioned, we departed Rexburg for our long drive home. We had one last attempt to redeem our Saturday morning: we stopped at Five Guys in Centerville. Their burgers and fries are spectacular. Partial Redemption.

[Now i have to stop here and add a little commentary. I've been to Jb's before. I've had their breakfast. I've had their breakfast buffet. I know their breakfast buffet is terrible. So why did I agree to get the buffet? That is a really really good question, and I think I can answer it after looking deep into my psyche: I have a problem with food. I love it too much. I love it in great quantities, and I don't like my supply to be limited [This stems from childhood, but the why is for another post altogether]. Simply put, I was blinded by my inner mind. When my logical side said "Jeff, this buffet will be horrible" my inner mind said "Jeff, this buffet will be so good." When the logical side said, "the food is going to be cold and the grease level will be off the charts" my inner mind said "Just think of all the food you can eat, quantity supersedes quality." And who do I listen to? the one what has been working well for decades, the one who knows the world and how things really work, the one who knows my inner mind and how it works? No, I repeatedly listen to the stupid illogical side, the inner mind. Inner mind, with all my heart I stab at thee!!!]

1 comment:
Here's to our logical sides - may they eventually learn to speak loud enough to win.
Post a Comment