Sunday, February 1, 2009

Our first fire

Not a typical thing to have happen, right? But doesn't every good wife start a fire at some point during an eternal marriage? It took me less than 2 months. True story.
Last night I thought, "I want a tostada." (Thanks to Joey for the idea of how to make it amazing). So, in order to warm the tostada shells, I thought it would be a great idea to put them in the toaster oven. Jeff assumed I put it on the toast setting...which would have been a great idea. Unfortunately, my thinking was a little different. My brilliant idea was to use the oven setting of the toaster oven , but not forget about them. Sounds simple, right?
Well, in the process our photographer from our wedding brought by our wedding book and the disk with the pictures. Of course, I was thrilled and completely forgot about the tostada shells in the toaster oven. Oops. We started looking at our pictures when all of a sudden, the shrill beeping of 3 smoke detectors went off.
Jeff to the rescue! For some reason, when I panic, I do what doesn't need to be done right away: take the batteries out of the smoke detector so that blasted beeping will stop rather than trying to put out the fire that I caused. Fortunately, Jeff is much more logical and took care of the fire instead. One more reason I love that guy. He unplugged the flaming piece of metal and splashed water on it. Our entire apartment was FILLED with smoke and I think I might have caused some lung damage to Jeff. Sorry, babe.

We had to open all the windows and turn on fans. My mom told me that if you put a bowl of vinegar out, it supposedly absorbs the smell. So, we stopped at the store and have a pleasant aroma of vinegar throughout our little apartment. I guess it works pretty well because the smell isn't nearly as bad this morning. It's still gross though. We're very lucky that the only damage was to our toaster oven. Everything else just smells bad. It's a good thing I'm kind of obsessive about frebreeze so hopefully that will help too.

I learned a great lesson and also decided that I win the award for best wife of the year.

5 comments:

Kim and Franklin said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Great job! I think we should do a study on the #1 cause of kitchen fires in the US...tostadas & pop tarts are probably the top...or maybe on the appliance that causes the most fires...toaster ovens?? I am glad that you are both ok.

Spencer J Williams said...

Well done, Jenny, well done. There's nothing like starting a fire to say to your new husband, "Hey dear, I know exactly what I'm doing in the kitchen, things are going to be great!" Haha. Sadly enough, burned tostadas are probably better than whatever I did or didn't eat that night. Hasta luego!

AmyandJoey said...

I hope you still ate those...smother some beans on there, mask it with a little tabasco and tomatoes. Yum.

Tara said...

Jenny, I think that's a great story. I would have gone for the batteries also. i hate that noise.

B.H. said...

Ha!!!!!

You can never mock me again!!!

Also you can now understand why both Felix and I couldn't remember where the fire extinguisher was even though it was about 2 feet away.

Hope your house stops stinking soon. Also look at Kim's post. Pop tarts, toasters, and such things are really dangerous.

Now you know. :)