Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I should probably start seeing a therapist...

I have a confession to make. I have serious anxiety about having kids. It's not even the whole being pregnant and the actual birthing process. My anxiety probably stems from both Jeff and me being middle children...or something like that...we like to throw that in whenever we can.
See, our nieces and nephew are pretty much the greatest kids ever. And SO ridiculously cute. I can't get enough of them. They're smart, funny, super fun to play with and just overall great kids.

Here's my fear though: what if our kids are duds? I mean, what if they're not very cute and look super alien-ish? And what if they have zero personality and don't do anything funny?

I hang out with Maddie and Sam every Wednesday and every week I call Jeff with 1 or 2 or 10 hilarious things that they did. Every time I take them somewhere, people comment on how cute they are. I totally take credit because I'm the auntie and I'm never going to see these random people again so I just go along with the fact that they think they're mine. And then there's Kaitlyn who is absolutely adoreable. Seriously. Big brown eyes, great hair, everything. And Avery? She's brilliant and talented and just fabulous.

With all these super great kids around, what if ours turn out to be the lame ones of the bunch?
I know this is an irrational fear. I just had to get it out there so when we do have kids, you can all validate me and tell me how cute and funny and smart they are.

And this, my friends, is why I should probably be in therapy...not doing therapy for others.

7 comments:

Lyns said...

You can take Alecia and Jessica with you. I'm fairly certain we've all had this exact conversation numerous times. :)

Chelsey said...

Once you have kids you will love them! No matter what they look like or what they act like! Don't worry I'm sure they will be adorable!! :)

Amanda said...

jenny - seriously? i could take that and change some names and that is my same feelings!!! of course i am not married so kids are nowhere on the horizon anyway...but i have 5 nieces and nephews who are freaking awesome - and so freaking cute!! i figure odds are we can't all have awesomely cute kids, so if all my brothers get the good ones - the odds of me getting craptacular children are pretty high...its so nice to know that i am not alone in my crazy thinking...and i agree - there is no right for me to be counseling people when i should be the one in counseling!!

catch ya later!!

Kevin and Andrea said...

Your kids are destined to be perfectly cute and sweet. You don't have any non-cute or non-sweet genes to pass along between the two of you. I am voting for you to have lots and lots of kids. I love being an aunt!

B.H. said...

You're right Jenny. Your kids will be freaks. Don't even try.

Daniel Good

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, ALL my grandkids are and will be the cutest, smartest, funniest, sweetest, and most perfect of all the kids on the face of the earth. No duds in this bunch. So there. No more waiting around . . . let's prove me right!

carly said...

I have the same fears! It doesn't help that Spencer is always coming up with the most awful names for our future children and telling me that they are going to have no athletic ability...