Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fighting a good fight

I have some shocking news for most of you (well, it's shocking if you've ever met me). I am a Sarah Palin fan. Here are a few reasons why:

  • She and I agree that a small government is better for this country than a larger government. The less power the government has, the more freedom the individual has.
  • She and I agree that lower taxes promotes individual freedom. It also increases revenue for the government. The country is more prosperous when the people get to choose what we do with our money and property. Additionally, she and I agree that people can spend their money more efficiently than the government can ever dream. The way out of a recession is for the government to allow people who work for their money to keep as much of it as possible so that they can spend it themselves. (gosh, wouldn't it be great if the government would allow us to keep our own money?)
  • She and I agree that abortion is wrong and that a person's right to live supersedes a persons right to choose to not have a child; abortion is immoral.
  • She and I have similar morals and values regarding the family.
  • She and I agree that global warming is not man made and that regulations and taxes such as Cap and Trade are about nothing more than additional money and power for the government.
  • She and I agree that the best fix for the health care system is for the free market to fix the problems and that over-regulation of the system is what has caused most of the problems we have today. (I'm not 100% sure that she believes this, but I’m pretty sure)
  • She and I agree that this economic crisis was a result of overregulation, by the government sticking their nose where it doesn't belong: the free market. I'm specifically referring to the housing bubble (which was created by government programs) and subsequent collapse. (again, I'm not 100% sure that she believes this, but I’m pretty sure)
  • She and I believe that the best thing about this country is it's people. Fostering individual freedom should be the prime responsibility of our government as was intended upon its founding.

So with that being said, yesterday I had the opportunity to go to Costco and meet Sarah Palin and get a signed book. It was pretty exciting. There were some people who camped out over night for the noon-3 book signing. I arrived at 1230 and stood in line for about 1 hour before meeting her. It wasn't as cool as I thought it would be because I only had about 3 seconds in front of her, but that's okay. There were tons of people who wanted to meet her and get the book signed. Had I had more time, I would have said the following: "Mrs. P. Thanks for being there for us. We're behind you, keep on fighting." Now that I look at it, I totally had enough time to tell her that. What can I say, I froze up. But I walked away with two signed books, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other one, and I got to meet Sarah Palin. So all in all, it was a good trip and I'm glad i took the time.

2 comments:

Kevin and Andrea said...

Amen to it all.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Jeff (and Sarah). Way to speak up for what you believe. I think that was commendable that you braved the crowds to meet her and to show your support.