Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Help from a 5-year old

I thought I might get a little something done with my papers today while I was hanging out with the kiddos. Sam fell asleep so I thought it would be a perfect time to pull out the computer and start typing.
I have a bit of a problem, however, with being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere...especially when I'm sitting. Homework, TV, movies, class, etc. I just need to be moving around or I get super tired. I kept nodding off and was having a rough time staying awake, but Maddie was a great helper. Here's how it went down:

Me: Mads, is it cool if I work on my homework while you finish watching Ice Age?
Mads: Yeah, sure. What homework do you have?
Me: Just a couple of papers. I'll just sit over here and type.
Mads: Can I help you?
Me: Sure. (I sit her on the couch next to me)
Mads: Can I just see your phone for a second?
Me: Yep.
Mads: Is it ok if I call someone?
Me: Sure. Who do you want to call?
Mads: Um, just Nonnie and Sir (my parents)
Me: Ok.
So she pushes the speed dial and when my mom answers, Maddie says,
Mads: Hi, Nonnie! I'm just doing Jenny's homework for her because she's super tired and she can't do it on her own. My homework is dumb and boring so I'm just doing Jenny's instead.

Really? Coloring and tracing letters and numbers is boring, but writing 15 pages on the Adam Walsh Act, its implementation and the context and content and a bunch of other stuff isn't? I'll totally switch and go back to doing Kindergarten homework.

8 new documents and 60+ pages later, my homework is finished with rows and rows of letters. So I say, "Good job Mads. I bet my teachers will love it."

Maddie: Yeah. They're gonna be so proud of me. Make sure you tell them I did it.

Done deal.

5 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Good job Jenny. I loved it when she was typing with the Wingdings font. She liked the smiley face best because she is ALWAYS happy.... She has a memory like an 80-year-old.

Jeffrey said...

Jenny, sometimes I get the feeling that our blog is simply a dialogue between you and I. Have a good day. -Jeff

Jenny said...

yes. me too. and i'm totally fine with it.

Jeffrey said...

yea, It's okay. It'd be nice if it weren't so diatomic, but I do love you and you're the one with whom I choose to be diatomic.

Em said...

Oh you kids. You kill me. I love your stories of you hanging out with the kiddos. Thanks again for being their second mom. You are fab. You are my biggest fan.